Bouchard Pere & Fils, which was founded in 1731, began to sell wine during the first half of the 18th century. In 1775 the House acquired its first vineyards in Volnay, where the company was based at the time.
In 1791 the French revolutionary government sold off property which had belonged to the monastic orders, but were confiscated during the Revolution. It was at this time that Bouchard PÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¨re & Fils was able to purchase additional vineyards in Beaune, such as the prestigious Vigne de l'Enfant JÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â©sus.
In 1820 Bouchard Pere & Fils moved to the former Chateau Royal de Beaune, whose bastions and ramparts, with walls measuring 23 feet in thickness, offered the best possible wine-aging conditions for their great wines.
From the 19th century up to World War I, Bouchard Pere & Fils gradually increased their vineyard holdings, not only in Beaune, but also in the surrounding area, encompassing such renowned premiers crus and grands crus as : Montrachet, Chevalier-Montrachet, Le Corton, and Corton Charlemagne.
In 1969 the House further expanded to the south, respectively (in Meursault) and to the north where Bouchard acquired vineyards in Chambolle-Musigny and Gevrey Chambertin and later, in Clos Vougeot (1996).
In 1995 the Bouchard family passed the helm to the Henriot family, whose aim is to further develop this exceptional Domaine. In 1996, Bouchard took over the Domaine Ropiteau-Mignon, which added a number of prestigious vineyards in Meursault.
And in 1998, Bouchard Pere & Fils acquired the Domaine William Favre in Chablis, thus adding some significant premiers crus and grands crus Chablis to the Bouchard estate.
The House's first documented acquisition dates back to 1775, and many other vineyard purchases took place during the French Revolution (1789-99). Today, Bouchard Pere & Fils is the largest vineyard owner of grands crus (30 acres) and premiers crus (183 acres) in the Cote d'Or.
Bouchard's holdings are concentrated in the Cote de Beaune, where the winery has parcels in 35 premiers crus vineyards--including their famous monopole, the Beaune-Graves Vigne de l'Enfant JÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â©sus. Bouchard is the single largest owner in Chevalier-Montrachet, and has the exclusive distribution rights to La Romanee, the celebrated grand cru of the Chateau de Vosne Romanee. These three wines rank among the flagship wines of the House.
In 1995, Joseph Henriot and family purchased Bouchard Pere & Fils. Mr. Henriot has invested considerably in both the vineyards and winery and is committed to making Bouchard Pere & Fils the quality reference for fine Burgundies.
Visit the Bouchard Pere & Fils website